Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Foreign Countries

"What is so thrilling about traveling to a new country?" Misaka Asks


Travelling to a new country may be thrilling to some people, or just plain scary. It depends on what kind of person you are.

Me, I love traveling to new countries, or learn something more about another country. As you might have thought, right now, it would be Japan. What's interesting about travelling to another country is that it challenges one's perspective.

For example, we would assume most people living in MEDC's would eat turkey during Christmas. But they don't in Japan, they eat KFC.

When one's perspective is challenged, one would generally ignore it and forget about it. Not me, I appreciate it and try to find the origin of such practices. Heck, I might even try to incorporate it into my own practice if it has a meaning behind it.

Using the example provided earlier, the reason people eat KFC is due to KFC running a successful campaign that persuaded most of the Japanese that Westerners eat KFC for Christmas.

Building on that, why did the Japanese people just assume westerners eat KFC during Christmas dinner? Did they not bother to search it online? That is a question that I might not be able to answer for a while.

So, why did I bring up Foreign countries? To keep it short, I want to share what I might do after Uni.

Japan, well known for their terrible English, search on Youtube "Japanese english" and you get videos of general Japanese population failing to pronounce words properly. Sometimes, they can't even structure the sentences properly (Due to the different sentence structure).

So, I might go apply for JET. But one thing prevents me form doing so, I'm a Hong Kong Citizen, English is spoken by only 30% of the citizens and Japan-HK relationships are particularly high. Applying for this can be a challenge for me.

I'll post more later when I feel like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment